ATA Carnet: Passport for goods
Find out how the ATA Carnet can simplify the temporary admission of goods abroad.
What is an ATA Carnet for?
The ATA Carnet is an international customs document.
It allows tax-free and duty-free temporary export and import of goods.
It’s a passport for goods!
No matter the means of transportation, using an ATA Carnet has many advantages:
- Accepted by 87 countries around the world.
- Facilitates the temporary admission of imports abroad.
- Simplifies customs procedures.
- Combines all goods in the same customs documentation.
- Reduces cost for the exporting company.
- Saves on time in transit area.
Is the ATA Carnet for you?
If you are travelling with equipment related to your work, the ATA Carnet is your best option, no matter your field of expertise.
What are the conditions to meet?
To be eligible, the merchandise must fit into one of the following categories:
- Commercial samples
- Professional equipment
- Goods for use at trade fairs, shows, exhibitions.
Be aware of restrictions.
- The admission must be temporary.
- The goods cannot gain in value.
- The goods cannot be altered in any way, which includes repairs.
- If the goods are subject to regulation, using an Ata Carnet does not exclude them.
How long does an ATA Carnet remain valid?
- The ATA Carnet is valid for one year.
- During this period, entries and exits of goods are unlimited.
- The carnet is a non-renewable document, but a transfer can be requested from the authorities prior to the expiration date.
The ATA Carnet will soon be digital!
By downloading the app, it will soon be possible to stay connected to your ATA Carnet anytime and anywhere! No more paperwork! The documentation will be digitized, grouped, and accessible in just a few clicks!
Don’t wait any longer … contact our ATA Carnet experts today and simplify your transportation forever! Contact us now!
Cost of personal belongings transportation
How much does it cost to ship personal effects abroad?
There are several factors influencing the price of a shipment.
In order to advise you on the best logistics option and provide you a price adapted to your needs; you must know at least the following information:
- The weight of your parcel.
- Its dimension, which is the length, the width, the height (in centimetres or inches).
- The destination.
- The means of transportation you want to use.
Make sure you have this information handy when contacting us for a quote.
Flight restriction due to Covid-19
Due to Covid-19, certain air transportation restrictions between Canada and the United States are still in effect regarding live animal transportation.
There is no flight available for the transport of live animals between the two countries until further notice. (March 2021)
Create a customer account at Cargolution
It is quick and easy to create a customer account at Cargolution.
Just fill out the following form: Credit application.
Our finance department will analyze your request. If your request is accepted, your account will be activated within 24 to 48 hours.
Declaration of Personal Effects
Did you know that you have to make a declaration for your unaccompanied goods upon arrival in Canada?
Even if you have no goods with you on arrival, you must give your list of goods to the border services officer at your first point of entry in Canada. Based on the list of goods you submit, the officer will complete Form BSF186, Personal Effects Accounting Document, assign a file number to it, and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt.
You will need to present your copy of this form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive. Goods to follow may be subject to import restrictions before you can import them.
To facilitate the clearance process, you can complete Form BSF186 before your arrival in Canada.
Reference : Canada Border Services Agency 1